minnamade minutes

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

New to Me LYS

There are a lot of LYS's around here. There's the one in my neighborhood. The one off the trolley line. The snobby one. A bunch I haven't been to yet.

But yesterday, I went to what is probably going to be my favorite: Northwest Wools.

I'm not sure what it is about this place... I know it's not price. With so many LYSes in the area, price is pretty competitive (AKA The Same) across the board. But they also have a room in the back dedicated to spinning! No, I'm not even thinking about spinning yet (though the hand spindley thingies were awfully cute and very affordable... ) But you can get needle felting friendly roving for cheap here. We're talking probably four times cheaper than anywhere else.

It probably boils down to fate. One of the ladies at the store recognized the yarn I had used for my everyday scarf: ArtFiber's Kyoto (silk and mohair, need I say more?). She had also bought exactly the same color and was working on a lace scarf to show off the gorgeousness of the yarn. We both got appropriately gah-gah reminiscing on the Total Yarn P0rn that is the ArtFibers store.

Also, there's a candy store just a block down from it that carries all kinds of nostalgia candy (Nekko wafers, Skybars, Idaho Spuds, Cow Tails!). That's always a bonus.

To finish off my shopping streak, I stepped in to a card/gift/etc. shop and bought myself a Nunzilla. I couldn't help it.

3 Comments:

  • I used to live one mile from Northwest Wools and I *miss* going there now...It's a good place and the people there are SO nice. Plus, unlike Yarn Garden, they seem to keep plenty of each type of yarn in stock...

    By Blogger LindseyO, at 9:36 AM  

  • I love how they have their yarns organized by color too! They really are extremely nice folks. I might go back to Multnomah Village for the Thursday night SnB (it's at one of the Cafes) to meet some knitters.

    I've only been to Yarn Garden once. They were pretty packed, so maybe they were just busy, but I got a pretty rude brush off (along with inappropriate suggestion of baby alpaca yarn for hard-wear socks!). I wouldn't go back there unless they carried something unique to a Must Do project.

    By Blogger minnaming, at 10:31 AM  

  • It's so weird how one will have *chemistry* for a yarn shop [just like for friends or boyfriend].

    There are a bunch of stores here in Chicago but there are only two that I really have FUN at and feel at ease - neither one is near my house [4mi & 8 mi] but there is one right at the end of my street [that I just can't go into!] SOB!

    By Blogger Bonne Marie, at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home