minnamade minutes

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Always Behind the Wave


Hare comes trouble.


I managed to knock out a couple opera-length arm warmers for a co-worker this weekend - cast on during the Opening Ceremonies (which, despite all the emerging controversy, were still amazing to me. I even cried a couple times because when I'm not being a twelve year old boy, I'm being a hormone-imbued softie.) tucked in the last loose bits in time for the birthday cookout Sunday afternoon. I'll post pics of them later. They aren't all that impressive - just tubes with... thumb tubes - but they are always a big hit at my office, where the climate control is set at arctic no matter the weather outside.

Since then I've been having several false starts with Eunny's Print o' the Wave Stole. I'm knitting it with Habu Textile's superfine merino in a green that is much darker than the grass green I'm finding on one of my LYS's website.

The figure 8 style invisible cast on gave me problems (I kept getting too much slack in the figure-8-ified working yarn) but I just sort of fudged it (by undoing the original slip knot and retying it to take up the slack).

For some reason, I started on size 2 needles with this probably-about-gossamer-weight yarn, which looked awful. So I picked up a set of Addi lace needles in 00 and everything is flowing much more smoothly... only...

Watching women's gymnastics and knitting on size 00 needles with gossamer weight yarn might not be the most complementary activities. I managed to drop a stitch in the last three rows of my second pattern repeat and will need to rip back and/or fake the missing stitch to get back on track.

Other than these false starts... it's been an interesting knit. I have been sticking to easy knits all summer and it feels good to be challenging myself again. I will have to remind myself of these warm-fuzzy feelings when I start to cuss my itty bitty superfine knitting later in the week.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home